Friday, October 7, 2011

The Scoop On Measuring and Mixing Tools For Baking


I'll be the first to admit when I am cooking I don't measure but eyeball my spices.  However, when it comes to baking that's a whole other story.  Baking is a lot more delicate in nature than cooking so I always measure out my ingredients.  Unless you have a super sense of proportion you will need certain baking tools at the ready.

I like to look at baking as an art and science.  To me the art comes in the vast flavors and texture of your baked goods from cookies, cakes to the light flakiness of a pie crust.  The science so to speak is where I measure exactly the proper amount and balance with your flour(s), fats, liquids and such.  If these things are not balanced correctly your quick breads could be used for a door stop and that ever delicate souffle will go a floppin'.

With that said having the right baking tools handy will help ensure your baking venture is a success!


DRY MEASURING CUPS

Measuring cups come in stainless steel, silicone, and plastic.  I prefer stainless steel myself but you choose what works best for you.  Always keep in mind that these should only be used for dry ingredients like flour, sugar, oatmeal, spices etc. and not used for liquids.  Most sets have a 1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 and 1/4 cup.   It's said one set is all you need but if you bake as much as I do I have 3 sets.

MEASURING SPOONS

The same goes for measuring spoons .  They are made in stainless steel, silicone and plastic.  I keep two sets one for dry and one for wet ingredients like extracts and oils.  Most sets of measuring spoons  have a tablespoon, teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon and 1/4 teaspoon.  I also have a nifty measuring spoon set that has dash, pinch and smidge that are priceless to me!



WET INGREDIENT MEASURING CUPS


Every time you bake you will be reaching for those glass or plastic measuring cups.  While I love glass much better than plastic I use plastic now because glass is too heavy for my hands to tolerate these days.  You'll want a 1 cup, 2 and 4 cup handy for measuring your liquids.  I also have an 8 cup.  Granted I don't use it very often but it does come in handy on occasions.  I use the 8 cup mostly for batters.


MIXING BOWL SET


And last but not least you will want a good set of mixing bowls .  You'll need a set that has a 1 1/2", 3 and 5 quart set of mixing bowls and that should get you through just about any type of baking.  If you do double batches of baking (especially when working with yeast bread doughs) you might add a 7-8 quart bowl to the mix. (pardon the pun)

You're ready to get bakin' now.  So, until next time, see you in the kitchen

Where Meals and Memories are Made

No comments:

Post a Comment