Friday, October 7, 2011

Intro To Water Bath Canning With Mrs. V


Whenever I start something new I try to get as much info about it before hand as I can to ease my learning along.  Ok, well um, I TRY anyway.  Sometimes I have this nasty little habit of diving in head first BUT it really is easier knowing some things to make it less blunderous.  Ha I just made that word up!

First off what is canning?

Canning is really one step beyond cooking. It is a method that applies heat to food in a closed glass home canning jars to stop the natural spoilage that would otherwise take place, and removes air from the jar to create a seal. There are two home canning methods - Waterbath Canning and Pressure Canning.  Today we are focusing on the method of waterbath canning.

This is a water-bath canner















This method is used for preserving jams, jellies, preserves, conserves, whole fruits, tomatoes, salsa, sauces, pie fillings, chutneys and/or any other high acid foods.

EXAMPLES OF HIGH ACID FOODS ARE
  • lemons
  • pickles
  • gooseberries
  • blackberries
  • apricots
  • plums
  • apples
  • sour cherries
  • peaches
  • pears
  • tomatoes
Items needed for waterbath canning are:
  • A 21 quart water bath canner 
  • Canning rack
  • Jar lifter
  • Glass preserving jars with lids and bands
  • 6-8 quart saucepan(s)
  • Measuring cups
  • Cutting board
  • Kitchen knives
  • Ladle
  • Wooden spoons
  • Non metallic spatulas
  • Dish rags
  • Wide mouth canning funnel 
You can also find your water bath canner as a set as well.  Often buying a starter kit is the best way to go and least expensive in the long run. I also recommened the BALL Bluebook Guide To Preserving.

I have a blast making my own homemade soft spreads and since I've started I have not bought store brands since.  It's a lot of fun, tastes better and even more fun when your family comes and raids your pantry ....giggles...

Until next time, see you 'round the table,







Where Meals and Memories are Made

No comments:

Post a Comment