Saturday, October 1, 2011

Old Fashioned Halloween Treats: Popcorn Balls


I love Halloween!  What I miss the most are the homemade treats, both making them and most importantly handing them out knowing they will get eaten and not thrown away :-(   But HEY not all the fun is gone.  You can still make one of Mrs. V's favorite Halloweeny treats Popcorn Balls for in home Halloween parties! 

Why I remember this one little boy years ago who came over to my son's Halloween party and asked me what a popcorn ball was (my son was raving about them)....GASPWhat's a popcorn ball?!  I marched him right over to the treat table and gave him one and just one bite and the kiddo was hooked :-) that made me a happy camper.  

I have two recipes I use so pick and choose or do what I do and make them both!  



Old Fashioned Popcorn Balls (Makes 1 dozen)
  •  8 cups popped white popcorn (white holds better texture and shape than yellow) If using microwave popcorn use un-buttered/plain
  • 1 cup granulated sugar (I use the fine baking sugar by C&H)
  • 1/3 cup corn syrup (light or dark your choice I use dark)
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions
  • Preheat Oven to 200 degrees F.  
  • Pop the corn and spread out on wax paper lined cookie sheets, place in oven to keep warm
  • In large saucepan on medium high heat stir the sugar, corn syrup, water, butter and salt together.  Stir constantly until it comes to a boil and mixture reaches 270 degrees F (use candy thermometer)
  • Remove from heat, add vanilla and give a quick stir.
  • Pour mixture slowly over popcorn let cool enough to handle
  • Butter your hands and shape into balls (I use disposable kitchen gloves and butter them up instead of using my bare hands)

The most important thing; Have fun eating them :-)

Just Like Cracker Jacks Popcorn Balls (Makes 1 dozen)
  • 8 cups white popcorn (if using microwave popcorn use un-buttered/plain)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar (fine baking sugar is best)
  • 1/3 cup molasses
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla 
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups toffee peanuts  
  •  
  • Directions
  • Preheat Oven to 200 degrees F.  
  • Pop the corn and spread out on wax paper lined cookie sheets, place in oven to keep warm
  • In large saucepan on medium high heat stir the sugar, molasses, water, butter and peanuts together.  Stir constantly until it comes to a boil and mixture reaches 270 degrees F (use candy thermometer)
  • Remove from heat, add vanilla and give a quick stir.
  • Pour mixture slowly over popcorn let cool enough to handle
  • Butter your hands and shape into balls (I use disposable kitchen gloves and butter them up instead of using my bare hands 
  •   ENJOY
Happy Halloween and until next time, see you 'round the table




Where Meals and Memories are Made

    No comments:

    Post a Comment