Makes 6 Equal Servings
With all the baked yummies flying around my home it never hurts to cut some calories here and there. Eating healthy doesn't have to be bland, boring, blechy food. I don't do bland BLEH. I am the first to admit I am a foodie to the core and my food has to have flavor. This recipe is actually a weight watchers meal that Mr. V and I tried out tonight and for us, it's a keeper! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
What You Need
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken cut in strips for frying
- 2 cloves of garlic or 2 teaspoons of already minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 (10 oz) box frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 1/2 cups of salsa
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas coarsely torn
- 3/4 cup reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 of an avocado pitted, peeled and diced
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. coat an unheated large nonstick skillet with cooking spray
- Preheat skillet over medium high heat.
- In medium bowl toss together chicken, garlic and chili powder, add to hot skillet and cook 4-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir often. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside
- Pour oil into hot skillet and add onions and green pepper. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionallly then stir in spinach.
- Coat a 2 quart square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of salsa in bottom of dish
- Top with half of the tortilla pieces, half of the chicken mixture, and half of the veggies. Pour half of the remaing salsa over the veggies and top with half the cheese. Repeat another layer with all ingredients EXCEPT the remaining cheese, keep that set aside.
- Bake covered 20-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand 5 minutes before serving
- Garnish with diced tomatoes, avocado and cilantro and remaining cheese.
NOTE: to print this recipe click on the green printer friendly button at the end of this post.
Until next time, see you in the kitchen