Living in the Southwest of Arizona soup is something we wait for until the weather starts cooling off and this potato soup is a family favorite of ours. There is nothing more comforting on a cool fall or cold winters night than this delightful, rich and creamy potato soup and it's fixings of crispy bacon crumbles, sharp cheddar and green onions a top this bowl of delight. Ummm ummm talk about your comfort food, I mean come on, is there anyone who doesn't like potatoes? If there is I've not met them yet ;-)
What You Need
½ stick butter
1 small onion diced
2 medium carrots diced
2 tablespoons flour
8 medium russet potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
4 cups milk
1 cup half and half
2 chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in ½ cup hot milk
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes2 cups salted water
8 strips of bacon cooked crisp then crumbled
Shredded/Grated Sharp Cheddar
Now, Let's MAKE IT!
- Melt butter and sauté onion and carrots in a 4-6 quart saucepan on medium until both are slightly tender about 5 minutes give or take
- Whisk in flour and cook about 1 minute
- Add milk, dissolved bouillon and potatoes and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are very soft
- Add half and half, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes
- Turn off heat and set aside or keep on super low to keep warm stir occasionally as you fry up your bacon for garnish.
Until next time, see you in the kitchen.